Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Dear Sallie Mae- Please take my diploma

Dear Sallie Mae-

I have been involved with you for the last 9 years, when I turned 18 I was young, uninformed, and desperate to get a college education. Knowing that my parents were not able to help me out in any way financially I took it upon myself to find a way to pay for college- I took out Private Loans through you after taking out all I could in Federal Loans. I wish I had known then what I know now.
Over the course of the last 9 years you have caused me unbelievable frustration and anxiety. I had absolutely no idea that I would be asked to pay up to $900 a month for student loans; all on a college graduate salary of around 10-12$/hour. After Rent, Food Bills, Phone, Car Payments etc- paying $100 was the most I was able to come up with. I Deferred loans, I applied for economic hardship, etc etc....each time costing me 250$ in fees. 2 Years ago my loans went into Default.
I wish I could say I have a plan on how to pay you back- I am not looking to "screw the system" I'm looking to make a life for myself that doesn't revolve around feeling guilty for every thing I do. I am scared of doing all major things in life thanks to you. Marriage, a family, getting a used car, going on a trips- these are all things that I have to worry about you taking away or hurting.
I'm writing because I am SO FRUSTRATED. I'm sick of the phone calls from 8am-9pm, I'm sick of being threatened that every paycheck will be taken away from me, and if I ever in fact "make it" with a small business etc, you will take it away.
I reached my breaking point today when one of your representatives told me "I was better off being unemployed with nothing, because at least you couldn't take my money than." I am a healthy, able-bodied 27 year old woman- I am able to work and when I do find work in the near future although I will be incredibly angry that my whole check is going to blood-suckers like you- at least I have something you cannot take away- My pride, and morals- something you so obviously lack.
You threaten me with court, and fines- but at this point I'm ready for it...please bring it on- please let it end, even if I'm bankrupt or a judge has sentenced me to pay 50$ a month I'm sure it will be a better negotiation than what you are offering...which is essentially my head on a platter.
Enclosed is a copy of my diploma- I wish I could give you back my education, so you would leave me alone. Let me be and let everyone else who is in my situation stop suffering- our only crime is wanting an education.

Sincerely,
Sarah Havener
Sedgwick, Maine

4 comments:

  1. AMEN!!! I really hope you did send them this....maybe I'll attach my diploma too!...since a career in teaching doesn't even begin to pay them back! Keep your head up! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, so well said. There are so many of us in similar situations...something needs to change!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely written Sarah. You are not alone in your frustration towards Sallie Mae. Things will get better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, I stumbled across your blog accidently and won't have the time to follow it, but I get the humility in it and wish you the best. To that end, I have a thought as to something to add to your baking: Ooeey gooey bars or cakes. These are delicious! You can google them and find recipes and blogs(Jan cooks ??) about them. I discovered them at a farmer's market where I happily paid $2 for a slice. ( 1/8 of a 9x13 pan ) My fav. flavor was an orange cranberry. I don't think you can do these wrong-experiment with flavors. (I want to do one with a lemon cake base and blueberry fill, but I'm only one here and they are full of calories )
    anon

    ReplyDelete