Sunday, November 21, 2010

Baking rantings on an early Sunday Morning

"I'm conjuring, not baking, creating pastry spells for your every ailment. So don't be offended if I still can't offer you a hug or even a smile as a gesture of warmth, but please take this little pastry. It embodies my goodness and kindness, together as one tasty treat"- Confections of a Closet Master Baker

I'm reading the above fabulous book (Confections of a Closet Master Baker) and I'm sort of obsessed. It's actually by Sandra Bullock's sister: Gesine. But don't let that stop you from reading it.....it's really not anything like you would expect. It pretty much reads like my schedule of life every working day- and makes me feel happy to be baker besides the incredible lousy pay and ridiculous hours.

I know I've become obsessed with all things having to do with baking lately---I work 3am-11am elbows deep in cookie dough and pie crust. And then I come home and click through food blog after food blog (my favorite being: joythebaker)----then I go to the library and pick up such things as Cooking Light or Bon Appetit magazine and read recipe after recipe about pies and cakes etc etc etc. I can't stop myself- and then I make such things as Pumpkin bread with cranberries, pecans, and apples in it and watch people eat it seeing the delight in their taste buds.
I wish I could say that I don't think about food constantly but I do---- I think about how to create such things as Peanut Butter Jam thumbprints or Coffee infused Hermit bars and I get this happy rush. How will I ever be able to not be working this type of job? Can I give back my Marine Bio degree and not pay my loans so I can open up a bakery? Oh how wonderful that would be.

Okay so sorry for the rant folks- but its 6:30 am on a Sunday and I have been awake since 5am- thinking about what I'm baking for thanksgiving. I might have an illness. Have a good day all.

No comments:

Post a Comment