Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Colors of Fall---and my Maam's rolls



It is unusually warm out today----I have taken two walks to enjoy it despite it being a little rainy. I find it to be so crazy beautiful outside, with the different colored leaves falling down creating little abstract paintings of their own on the side walks- different patterns of colors everywhere you look.

Whenever I see anything beautiful in something so ordinary I often think of my grandmother (my Maam). Sometimes when I am so grateful to be living and walking through colors of fall, or along the beach with my dog, or even enjoying a good cup of coffee I think of her. It's always beautiful things that remind me of her because she had such a truly beautiful spirit. I miss her immensely and often- sometimes I find something amusing and I reach for the phone to call her and realize I can't anymore....but I feel like she's always smiling at me when she sees me smiling at ordinary beauty. I love you Maam.

I mention my Maam in this food blog because she left me with this ridiculous task for thanksgiving---or rather I have sort of brought this upon myself....My Maam made the best yeast rolls at Thanksgiving---like really it was my favorite part- that and her cranberry sauce. Well this year I have decided that I will tackle the yeast rolls....for years she showed my sister and I how to shape them---but did I ever once write down the recipe??? of course not. So starting November 1st I'm going to be a yeast roll baking queen and try everything to get them down. I know that even if I fail at least she would be laughing at all the work I'm going to be putting into something that she did so easily.

Anyway I hope that for anyone who reads this--you go and call your grandparents and tell them how much you love them...and even write down that favorite recipe of theirs that you adore.
Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment