Friday, June 1, 2012

A short rant on why I love where I live.

Loving where i live- a short version.

--- I have just come from THE CAVE in Brooklin where I drank an awesome Iced Cappuccino (BUCKLYN COFFEE) while chatting with the "locals" and picking up some cheese and amazing bread (TINDERHEARTH).  My husband met me there and we went and checked out a freezer I need for my SARAHNDIPITY baked goods business....which I just happened to come across after posting a need for one on facebook---literally one minute went by and Molly (MOLLY BLAKE designs) said she knew of one.
I decided to take my dog for a walk and pick up some local sausage that a farmer had waiting for me in his freezer (POLAND FAMILY FARM)...
So in the course of an hour I had local coffee, picked up local bread, found a freezer, and picked up some fabulous local sausage.  
It really hit me today: I love where I live.  Funny thing is I fought so hard to not move here.  When my husband (boyfriend at the time) announced that he needed to move up here because he was becoming partner at his job boat building (D.N HYLAN and Associates)-- I didn't take it very well.  We had lived in Blue Hill for a year and a half before I couldn't take it anymore and begged to move to the mid-coast--- after another year and half of living in Wiscasset (to busy) and Belfast (loved...but to far) we bought a house and moved to Sedgwick.

I feel almost silly for fighting so hard against it at the time.  I am seriously surrounded by some of the most beautiful towns in Maine.
 Brooksville is 5 minutes from us--- it is full of green gorgeous fields and creeks and old farmhouses.  Deer Isle is another 5-10 minutes-- more farmhouses but set next to the backdrop of the dark blue ocean--keep going and you come to Stonington--- a photographers dream---Lobster boats everywhere and even a small town--- and it hosts the biggest farmers market in Maine!
Brooklin is about 15 minutes from us- and has some of the best walks in the area--- Neskeaq, Carter's Point (technically Sedgwick but close enough), plus boatyards and a pub!  Blue Hill is also lovely with an awesome library and co-op.  And don't get me started on Cape Rosier/Harborside...I could buy a shack there in a huge field by the water and be happy for the rest of my life....plus you have FOUR SEASONS FARM right there...all the fresh produce you could ever want.

Sometimes in the middle of the winter when there is a foot of snow on the ground, I am partially unemployed and haven't seen a soul besides my husband in days I do dream of far away warm places with people.  But as soon as the first patch of green grass starts and the days become warmer and there is boat rides, and long walks, and wine on the grass outside, and the people start coming out of hibernation I am quickly reminded of why I live here.  I am so incredibly lucky to live in this community-- people are helpful and kind and being the "foodie" that I am- I am in paradise.  I don't have to wonder where my food is coming from in these warm months--- I get to shake hands with the farmer or artisan that prepared them for me.  I am lucky and look forward to spending my life here.  Now please remind me of this in February:).

No comments:

Post a Comment