Monday, December 19, 2011

Babies and Baked Goods Tour Part 2- Washington D.C.



For the second leg of my journey I traveled from Baltimore to D.C on the MARC train--after meeting up with Ellery at the Baltimore airport (he didn't think it would be right if I met our nephew before him).
We got into D.C around mid-day and first thing met our new nephew- Ethan Russell Lankin. What an adorable baby- and usually I don't find babies adorable right off. I had caught a ridiculous cold about this time so I couldn't play with him much which was sad--- but it's not like babies at this age can play very well anyway. They mostly just sleep, or poo, or eat or cry. Sometimes though they look off into space all googly eyed and you are suppose to act very impressed-- and say things like: "Wow he just looks so intelligent", "my god is he smiling?"-- but mostly every expression on a newborn is because of some sort of bowel movement or gas.
Its still sort of new to Ellery and I being an aunt and uncle....like we know in several years that this will be a much bigger deal- and we can't wait to have him up to Maine to visit his crazy relatives and take him hiking, lobstering, fishing, etc. Throw him in mud-puddles and such--- things he can't do in the city. But for now we just sort of stare at him like everyone else.

We went out for some awesome Sushi in D.C on our first day--- and this was one of Ethan's first outings. His parents were surprisingly not as nervous as I thought they would be....he slept for a lot of it which helped I think. Oh plus Thalia and Josh are pretty awesome parents so far.
We made dinner in that night.
The next day we visited Georgetown cupcakes-- which is the new hip place in D.C. There is literally a line out the door, and they have dozens of flavors of cupcakes a day. Ellery and I waited in line and ordered: Coconut creme, gingerbread, Chocolate-Mint, and salted caramel. All very good- could of used more cake and less frosting though. I also have a hard time understand the cupcake fad--- I mean I get it- little personal cakes....but I think a thick slice of a truly awesome cake is better-- or pie or cookies. Cupcakes usually lack something.
We then walked around Georgetown for a few hours, spotted another cool bakery--- and then went and had some beers and pizza for lunch before heading back to Thalia and Josh's for rest and eventually a dinner made by the men! (i was shocked also.)

At this point- although very happy to have hung out with two very cool babies---I was ready to head to NYC and be on my own schedule--- which involved my own feeding and sleeping times, and lots of more walking around. I left Sunday morning by bus onward towards NY- as Ellery flew back home by plane.

No comments:

Post a Comment